Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Creamy peanut butter frosted chocolate cupcakes!

I've been sitting on posting this for a few days, as I just hadn't taken the time to sit down to write out the recipe, but this is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Who doesn't like peanut butter and chocolate together?


From the ever famous cookbook, Vegan Cupakes Take Over the World, by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, this is the standard chocolate cupcake recipe, which makes a dark, and nearly black cupcake, using dutch processed cocoa.


vegan cupcakes with peanut butter frosting

Chocolate Cupcake

1 cup soy or non dairy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract or more vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder, or regular
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Whisk the soy milk and vinegar together and let sit for several minutes.
Add the suagr, oil and extracts, and whisk till foamy.
In another bowl, add dry ingredients, sift, and mix till combined.
Add dry ingredients in two batches to the wet ingredients, and beat till no lumps remain. A few small ones are acceptable.
Pour into liners, 3/4 full. (original recipe states 12 cupcakes, I usually get 13 or 14)
Bake 18-20 minutes, till toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool before frosting.

vegan cupcakes with peanut butter frosting closeup
Closeup of the yummy pieces parts!

Peanut Butter Frosting

(Note: The above are mini cupcakes, so I actually only made half of the frosting recipe to pipe, but if you make regular sized cupcakes, you will have plenty of frosting to pipe down in the center, for creamy filled mouthfuls!)
1/2 cup of Earth Balance, non dairy margarine (It's also trans fat free, and whey-less!)
2/3 cup peanut butter
3-4 cups of confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 Tbsp of non dairy milk

With an electric mixer, cream the margarine and peanut butter together, till creamy, for about a minute. Add remaining ingredients, and start mixer out on low speed, and gradually increase, to prevent a powdered sugar cloud. Mix till light and fluffy- about another 1-2 minutes.  Using your favorite piping tip, frost till your heart's content!

I had left over caramelly goodness in my fridge, which I used to drizzle over these cupcakes, and added some finely chopped peanuts on top.

10 comments:

Cristina | Positively Beauty said...

These cupcakes look delicious! And the peanut butter frosting...mmm!
Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic! I've never tried vegan cupcakes...in truth, I always thought that they'd have a bunch of unconventional ingredients in them, but I have everything in the recipe in my kitchen right now! I am definately going to have to try these.

Jess said...

So glad to hear it! You'll be so pleasently surprised then. Keep in mind too that you won't have saturated fat (because it doesn't use eggs) or trans fat if using Earth Balance margarine, as it is non hydrogenated! Good luck. Feel free to post back here :)

Unknown said...

How long did you bake the mini cupcakes for? They look amazing.

Jess said...

I'd say 12-15 minutes. They definately cook much faster.

Fred Collinsworth said...

Whoa! I think I've found the perfect recipe for a great treat for myself. LOL! If you only knew that I've been feeling so envious of my siblings because they can eat the food that they want. While me, I only eat soft foods. Actually, most of the time I eat soups! I guess by the coming weekend, my gums will heal and I can eat sweets again. Well, I'm just gonna save this link so I have a guide for cooking these chocolate cupcakes!

Jess said...

Fred, i hope you heal quickly. Good luck and I hope you enjoy these cupcakes!

Unknown said...

Now this sounds yummy! So glad I found your blog!!! Very cute

kelly said...

But Earth Balance uses Canola oil. I can't agree with Canola oil.

I'd rather use olive or coconut oil.

Mandy said...

Hello! I made your recipe and by mistake I used 3/4 cup instead of 1/3 cup of canola oil. It turned out amazing, so fluffy!!!