Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fresh raw veggie spring rolls with dressing.

I looovvveee spring rolls! How about you? It's also one of my hubby's favorite lunches, and this recipe went over particularly well. I originally saw the post on Tastespotting.com, I believe, and it was simply a cold salad, beautifully presented. The salad contents aren't anything new really, but the dressing sure did make the veggies a pleasure to eat!

Basically you take a whole zucchini and either spiralize it, or in my case, I used my Pampered Chef julienne shredder "thingy" and julienned my zucchini. Then I used my vegetable peeler to shred the carrots, and finely chopped some broccoli to add to the mix, along with some red peppers. She suggested mixing the dressing with the veggies to soften them a bit......This was all perfect, my next step was to make spring rolls out of the shredded veggies, instead of just placing them on a plate.  I let the mixture sit in the fridge for about 45 minutes before rolling them up.

To prepare the spring rolls, you'll need a pie plate large enough to set the roll in it, and fill it with hot water.. The rolls will come out the package as rigid discs, but as soon as you put one in the hot water, it immediately softens. Within seconds you'll feel the starch give, and you can pull it out and place it on the cutting board, spreading out any wrinkles. Only do one or two at a time.

veggies in spring roll
I placed several spinach leaves down as the base, then placed a large "fingers-full" amt of vegetable salad on top.

veggies being rolled in spring roll
Fold the top and bottom edges over the salad, burrito style, then pull one of the remaining sides over the filling, and then roll into a cigar shaped log.
raw veggies in spring roll
cut on the diagonal, and enjoy!  I was able to make 7 spring rolls with this recipe, although probably could have made 8.

The recipe comes from Loves Veggies and Yoga.

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing


For the Salad:
1 zucchini, spiralized
1/2 c mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, green beans, cucumber slices, radishes, tomatoes, peapods, bell peppers, whatever you have on hand)

Optional: 1/2 c protein (edamame, diced tofu, garbanzo/white/navy/cannelloni beans, quinoa, etc.)

For the Dressing:

1/4 c mayo (Vegenaise)
2 – 3 tbsp maple syrup, agave, or brown rice syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp EVOO
1 tsp basil (fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp fresh-ground pepper, or to taste
pinch salt, optional

Stir to combine

Directions:

Spiralize the zucchini.
Add the diced vegetables and protein.

Coat and toss with dressing. Doing this 15-20 minutes prior to eating will allow the dressing to soften the noodles and give them a more cooked taste and texture. Or simply mircowave the entire plate of food for 30 seconds if you want a “hot meal”.

Feel free to use the left over dressing as a dipping sauce!

Yields: 2 healthy sized plates of food, or 3 more medium sized plates, or 7-8 spring rolls.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great! I'm always on the lookout for new healthy weeknight dishes. This one looks perfect for the warm weather ahead.

Jess said...

Thanks Tina. I love light meals also, and if you're in a hurry, you can skip rolling the spring rolls, and just it as a salad with some bread and fruit.

Anonymous said...

These look amazing I love spring rolls!

Jess said...

thanks! I do too :)

Averie said...

thanks for blogging about my recipes!

you could just link back to my site directly (in the future) and save yourself the time of copy/pasting.

your spring rolls look wonderful!

Jess said...

Thanks for coming up with such a great recipe Avery~ I hope you did see the link below the picture. I like to add the recipes right on the site, I think it's helpful that way.

Elena @ TheFatLossAuthority.com said...

Yummy! These were great! I love spring rolls but never attempted to make them until I found your recipe. It was not too hard, but mine did not turn out as pretty as your pictures :) However, they were delicious.

Maria @ FatBurningFurnace.com said...

I love spring rolls and with fresh raw veggies, I'm not sure I could ask for a better recipe! I plan to make these very soon - I think everyone will love them!