Friday, July 24, 2009

Home made pickles!

I know I haven't blogged in so long, but this was worthwhile mentioning, at least for me!

My hubby bought me a canning pot with accessories recently from a garage sale, so I felt I really should use it. I bought some great looking pickling cukes from the Amish at a farmer's market, and I wish I had bought more now. Anyway, here is my journey this am. I also had the assistance of my sister, who is in the picture, and is here visiting from NM, and leaves to go back home tomorrow. I have to say, that I ended up cheating and didn't use a recipe, since Walmart was out of Mustard seed, so I bought a packaged mix to make the bread and butter pickles.

I would have spent all morning slicing these cukes by hand, if it hadn't been for Jan asking me why I wasn't using my new Kitchen Aid food processor. In all honesty, I hadn't even thought about it, since I'm still not used to having it to help me out. It went so much faster, using it to do the slicing!






Here are the jars in the pot, waiting to come back to a boil


And here is the final product....I'm totally hooked, and I want to make more.....and I may be able to on Sunday! I just need to find some more cucumbers!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Very nice. They look delicious.

Jess said...

thanks! I hope so.